menu close
in this section

As 2018 marks the 150th anniversary of Trent College, we hope you will be able to join us to help celebrate this landmark in the school’s history.

In launching our celebrations, we were honoured to welcome His Royal Highness The Earl of Wessex to our school.  Prince Edward unveiled a plaque to commemorate the occasion and delighted in meeting pupils and staff, past and present, during his visit.

Continuing this theme of celebration, a number of events are being held during 2018. The highlight within our programme of anniversary events, the Gala Dinner, was held in February at St Pancras International Station, also celebrating its 150th Anniversary during 2018. A review of this event and details for forthcoming events, together with booking information, are set out below.

For all event enquiries please click here 

Royal Finale Ball - Saturday 29 September 2018

In association with the Trent Parents’ Association, we would like you to join us for this very special event which rounds off a wonderful year of celebrations. As we launched the 150th Anniversary with a visit from His Royal Highness the Earl of Wessex, what better way to end than on a royal theme. A Champagne reception awaits as you arrive to a regal welcome.  Enjoy a banquet fit to satisfy any royal palate and dance the night away to the delightful tones of The Jazz Dynamos.

All welcome.
Tickets: £55* per person, £500* table of 10
Click here to book tickets

*Early bird ticket pricing expires on the weekend of 8/9 September 2018.  After this time tickets are priced £60 per person or £550 table of 10

Any proceeds from the sale of tickets to this event will go to the Trent College Foundation.​

Family Day - Saturday 9 June 2018

Trent College Family Day
Saturday 9th June 2018
1:30 am - 3.30 pm
at Trent College

The Trent College Family Day is open to all members of the Trent community. Join us, along with your friends and family, at our beautiful campus for an afternoon of fun for all to enjoy. With stalls, food, games, music and attractions, this year’s event also includes the Trent Parents’ Association 150th Anniversary Treasure Hunt, which will journey through the history of Trent College.

All welcome.
This event is free and no booking is required
.

Rock on the Terrace - Friday 25 May 2018

An outdoor festival of music organised in conjunction with the Trent Parents’ Association. We invite you to join us for this popular family event with live bands, including Old Tridents The Half Eight, pop-up cafes and family activities.

Bring a picnic and find a spot for your blanket and chairs on the grassy bank overlooking the outdoor stage and Lower Field beyond.

Enjoy live entertainment and the space of our beautiful grounds on a summer’s evening.

For more information and to book tickets please click here

All welcome.

Trent College & The Elms - 'School of 150' Whole School Photograph

On Monday 16 October, we gathered the school community together on a blustery autumnal day to capture a photograph of our whole school including all staff, pupils and students from Pre-school to Sixth Form.

We marked the occasion by planting a ‘Tree of Knowledge’ to become part of The Boarding Schools Association’s National Boarding Orchard.

L-R: Mr Bill Penty, Kyle Alexander (Y13), Mia Lallo (Y12), Mrs Sue Harris, Chessie Schroeder (Y12), Mr Magnus Cowie, Mr David Pinney, Mr Andy Clark (OT/Conservationist), Mr Robin Fletcher (Chief Executive Boarding Schools Association)

OT Society Annual Dinner - Held 11 November 2017

The Eagle has landed! On the evening of Saturday 11 November, Old Tridents, current and former staff, parents and students were in for a real treat as they were delighted to meet ‘from zero to hero’ British Olympian and Ski Jumping Champion, broadcaster, commentator and published author, Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards. 

Guests enjoyed a welcome reception, three course dinner and an after dinner speech and Q&A with Eddie. He entertained guests with anecdotes of the challenges faced in reaching his Olympic dream whilst showing video footage of both his time at Calgary in 1988 and the recent biographical movie starring Taron Egerton and Hugh Jackman. Britain’s most lovable ski jumper was most definitely a popular character, spending a considerable length of time chatting to guests throughout the evening.

​​Click here to view the OT Society Facebook photo gallery.

Members of the OT Society Committee L-R
​Rex Gooding, Nigel White, Jason Billows, (Jo Slater), Eddie Edwards, (Ann Randell), James Gregory, Robin Bowen, David Bladen.

Sporting Dinner - Held Thursday 1 February 2018

Our Sporting Dinner in this 150th anniversary year celebrated Trent College sport through the ages.

In school today all students participate in a wide variety of sports with excellent coaching delivered by experts in their field. This enables Trent to receive notable successes at both regional and national level.

Parents, Old Tridents, former and current staff, students and special guests joined us for what was an entertaining evening with speeches from sporting greats. 

World champion swimmer Mark Foster shared words of wisdom for the pupils and guests, he said  “Whatever you do with sport, with school, with life, commit to it. Don’t be afraid of failure. You never actually fail, you learn from it and move on. Sport is very good for teaching you that.”

Rio 2016 Gold Medal winning hockey captain Kate Richardson-Walsh added “I worked on being the very best I could be and tried to do that every single day. You can’t do more than that, no one will ask any more of you than that. Whatever it is be the very best you can be at that.”

The proceeds from the sale of tickets to this event will go towards supporting the Kenyan Schools Partnership and the Trent College Foundation.​

London Gala Dinner - Held on Saturday 10 February 2018

It is no coincidence that we chose to hold this special event at London St Pancras International Station. With the first train rolling into St Pancras in the early hours of 1st October 1868, the station is also celebrating 150 years of history.

Trent College has links with St Pancras which date back to our Founder, Francis Wright. In 1865 Francis Wright (High Sheriff of Nottingham and Deputy Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire) set the foundation of Trent College into motion. At this time, the Butterley Ironworks Company of Ripley, of which Francis Wright was a partner, was supplying materials for one of the most iconic constructions at St Pancras and which at the time was the largest single span enclosed space in the world, the ‘Barlow Shed’. Recently restored to its original light blue colour, it is under this magnificent roof that our London Gala Dinner takes place.

The highlight of our 150th celebrations, the London Gala Dinner was a spectacular black tie event celebrating the history and looking to the future of Trent College.

To view our gallery of photographs, please visit the Old Tridents Facebook page

Guests were entertained by the booming voice of our special guest, Brian Blessed OBE. One of Britain’s best loved actors, 

Old Tridents, past parents, former staff, current parents and students enjoyed a champagne reception alongside the French Wing of Searcys Champagne Bar, followed by a delicious three course meal served in Searcys Restaurant. 

Old Trident and Society Committee Member David Bladen said "The recent London Gala Dinner was a roaring success.  Everybody on our table thoroughly enjoyed every part of it.  The location was grand, the food was spectacular, the atmosphere was electric and all of the speakers were fantastic.

Our table was a mixture of former students and guests both in their twenties and thirties and it was wonderful to share stories and experiences of our times at Trent but to also hear what people are doing now.  It was particularly pleasant to see some of the former teachers, many of whom taught me, all of whom remembered me and were in fine form!

Congratulations and thank you for a wonderful and memorable event."

For those guests who arrived earlier in the afternoon, there was the opportunity to take a Heritage Tour of St Pancras, hosted by a local St Pancras History enthusiast.  The tour was thoroughly enjoyable and allowed guests to see parts of the station, whilst walked through many times before, they had not previously seen.

Spring Concert - Friday 16 March 2018

150th Anniversary Special Spring Concert
Friday 16 March 2018

Albert Hall, Nottingham
7:30pm-9:30pm

An orchestral, choral and jazz spectacular, directed by Director of Music Steven Henderson and performed by Trent College students, staff, Old Tridents and friends, celebrating a range of music from the past 150 years.  Featuring Old Trident and original Drummer with the Spencer Davis Group, Pete York as special guest performer.

All welcome.
Ticket reservations are essential.  Please click here to book.

Whole School Reunion & Cricket Match - Sunday 13 May 2018

Reunion Event
&
OTs v Trent College 1st XI & Staff Cricket T20
​Sunday
13 May 2018

Cricketers, OTs, past parents, former staff and spectators arrived to a welcome breakfast, before enjoying a game of cricket played on the 1st XI square under brilliant sunshine.  This was a fabulous opportunity for all those returning to Trent to take a look around the splendid grounds and reminisce as they took a tour through the school buildings.

After a delicious lunch, we were treated to video footage from the 1956 Speech Day event, referred to back then as Commem (Commemoration).  To see footage of the then Headmaster, Ford Ikin, Masters and parents as well as 'Old Boys' brought back many memories and shared with the younger guest a glimpse of school back then. 

We were also treated to a poem written by OT Richard Kenyon, which paid homage to the past 150 years of Trent.  Please click here to download a copy.

Following further tours of the school, we wrapped up the day with an afternoon tea and Prosecco!

It was wonderful to meet with everyone who attended this event and we hope to see many more OTs, past parents and former staff return to Trent for future events.  

in this section

get in contact

Trent College, Derby Road, Long Eaton, Nottingham,
NG10 4AD United Kingdom

PHONE: 0115 849 4949

contact us